Day 10: Articles

Articles review: a, an, the

Errors in article use are local (not serious) errors and usually do not have a high impact on the message you are sending. However, frequent errors are distracting, and it can be a difficult aspect for non-native speakers to master. Rules for articles are complex. We will cover enough, I hope, to help you use the articles correctly in most cases.

Discussion:
  1. What is an article?
  2. How serious are article errors in your writing? speaking?
  3. How are they used in your native language?
Look at the sample sentences below (some adapted from OWL Purdue's page on articles). What do the articles "tell" you about the noun: How many? Is it specific?

  • My son really wants a puppy for Christmas.
  • She gave the teacher an apple. 
  • She gave the student a cookie.
  • When I was at the zoo, I saw an elephant.
  • We adopted the puppy from a rescue center and are giving him to Sufijan for Christmas.
  • I was happy to see the policeman who saved my cat.
  • I saw the panda at the zoo.
  • I need a water.
  • The water is cold.
Let's look at some guidelines and samples.