Writer's Help: Please use this registration information to get access to the writer's help page.
Writer's Help can be accessed here: http://writershelp.bedfordstmartins.com/ebooks/helphandbook.php
Course Preview: There are 4 days of instruction left. Generally, the last day of this course is canceled for conference time. However, since we still have a day to make up, I will not be canceling that day and be holding both conferences and class that week. You may sign up for your final conference anytime from 3/4-3/10 in the google doc.
Here is an overview of what I plan to cover in the remaining class time:
2/26 Advanced punctuation
2/28 Discussion and Conclusion
3/5 Articles (will be joined by Cassandra's class)
3/7 Toss up (maybe Data commentary/hedging)
Advanced Punctuation: Today
we'll spend some time reviewing the most common punctuation marks
and talking a little about how you can use them effectively to vary
your sentence structure (PowerPoint on punctuation; coordinating conjunctions practice).
After you've had some practice, I'll give you some tips on how to
use (not overuse) them and how to proofread your work to be sure
you've used them correctly.
Need more? Here is a practice activity if you'd like to give it a try! When you are finished, compare your answers with mine.
The in-class text references today
include the Chicago Manual of Style, Elements of Style (Strunk and
White), and Rules for Writers (Diana Hacker). All of these are included
under external resources on the blog. I recommend purchasing Rules for
Writers as a desk reference and Strunk and White as a bathroom reader
for this class.